View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When did/would you let your child go to a sleepover? (non-family)

I'll start this out by saying that my kids have never stayed with anybody other than grandparents overnight and I have only let close family babysit them. I am having a hard time with this. I hadn't talked to my DD about it because I honestly wasn't expecting her to be invited yet. She just started Kindergarten at public school and she just turned 6. She seems to have kind of accepted the little girls request, but I don't think I'm ok with it. DH isn't so sure either. We both started doing sleepovers around 6 or 7, but I know it was hard for me at first and I really don't know how comfortable I feel with my own DD going yet. I actually don't think it has to do as much with letter her sleep over somewhere as it does with the parent of the girl who invited her and the manner in which she was invited. It's a little off putting when the mom of a 5 yo is comfortable letting a 5 and 6 year old make plans like that instead of talking to me about it first. I mean, they've never even had a play date together. After trying to figure out what was bothering me I realized that I'd probably be ok with her staying with her friend who's mom is a good friend of mine (her dad is good friends with DH too) so we know them and their home really well. I know I can't keep her from doing stuff forever, but she's only 6.

Am I overreacting? How soon would or did you let your child go to sleepovers at friends houses? Were you really comfortable with the parents first?

ETA: I wanted to add what I said later onto the OP. The mom is fully aware of the "plans" because she asked my DD if she got their number right in front of me.Sorry if that wasn't clear. It wasn't just the girls talking about it, the mom told her DD to give mine their number so she could sleep over. I think we've decided that we are not ready to do sleepovers yet. I realized haven't even let my MIL take her to her timeshare at a ranch that DD desperately wants to go to a couple hours away yet and I do trust her with my DD so we're just not ready.

Last edited by peaches330; 10-05-2012 at 01:56 PM.
peaches330 is offline   Reply With Quote