View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Its too hard

DS1 has a speech delay and does much better visually so when he gets frustrated with sounds we like to use foam alphabet letters to help him sound it out or even writing it on a piece of paper so he can see it along with hear it. Would that help?

DS1 definitely is a "I can't do it" kid, even when it is something he HAS done before so I totally get you there.

For the general anxiety, I think being calm and explaining it is okay to mess up is great. I know that I have to be careful and watch my tone and body language - which is tough to do with a 4 yr and 2 1/2 yr old who run me ragged but he totally picks up on it if I sound exasperated. I do the count backwards from ten or a few deep breaths before I start trying to calm him down.

The other thing I noticed, at least with my guy, is that I have really had to cut back on doing things for him that I know he has mastered, like putting on his shoes, just because we are in a time crunch and need to get on our way. If that happens too many times in a row, suddenly everything you ask him to do is "I don't know how" or "I just CAN'T".

kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote