View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Woah Nelly! So that is what ammonia smells like!

ack! little scared as this is my very first post- and I may be too late to this party. When we have ammonia issues, I tried all kinds of tricks-- couldn't get most of the standard things to work. I think the harder the water, the more problems the vinegar causes. I, too, have an HE (wish I didn't). Our water is not too hard, but vinegar caused more problems- those dipes really stank. I do have access to washing soda at our regular grocery store (as no one else has ever heard of it! I asked.) I tried a lot of new/other detergents and it got worse. The more I did, the worse it got.

My final somewhat solution was the most basic- do warm rinses and make sure those dipes didn't sit for more than 3 days. I do a heavy duty (I guess like the new bulky setting) for washing and another HD cycle for rinsing with washing soda. We have an older machine so DH took it apart and set the water level higher. I'd say to try warm water rinses and use less detergent (if you tried more) because I know I've had trouble getting detergent out with those HD machines.

c&w's mama
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote