View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #72
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Re: Found this blog about Snap Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
I am just learning more about snap benefits as my younger sister just started receiving them. I will admit I was FLOORED with how much she gets. She is able to get $490 a month for herself and her 1 year old twin boys. They also get WIC. $490 a month is about 2x what my families budget is for food for 3 kids and 2 adults. I do understand that everyone doesn't get the same and it goes off number of people in the house but I am always floored when she tells me about the foods she buys with snap. I will also admit though that she is not the smartest with budgeting and in general does not understand proper nutrition but she buys a grocery store bakery cake 1x a week at least for herself, gallons of ice cream, steak, shrimp, giant boxes of soda etc. It just seems that maybe there is a flaw in the system when my sister who has 2 young kids who hardly eat anything is getting almost $500 a month and then I hear about larger families getting $100 a month and barely able to feed everyone.
Honestly, I hate hearing stuff like that. I mean no offense to your sister, and I understand that a large percentage of people on SNAP just don't have the education about food they need, but man. Last year we were in a VERY hard place money wise, and we have four kids and did not qualify for anything. We do get WIC, in fact, I always have since I got pregnant with my first, and that helps SO much, but even $100 would have gone so far. Knowing how much WIC she gets for two children that age on top of almost $500 frustrates me, because there are so many families that truly need it (and would use it wisely), yet instead my tax dollars go to give such large amounts to people who could obviously live on a lot less.

I worked at a gas station when my oldest was 2-3, and people would come in and use their SNAP for pop and candy, then use their TANIF (welfare) to buy beer. I personally know another women with two small kids that got almost $600 in SNAP and sold it for drugs. I can't stand people who abuse the system.