Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to lower water bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I went back to your OP to double check my math and I realized I had missed your extra rinse at the end....So it would be more like 1260 gallons on the low end....Just for diapers. And half of those water changes are utilizing your water heater....

I am not trying to make you feel bad, please know that. I am just incredibly frustrated with the cloth diaper industry that sells these crazy microfiber diaper inserts (which aren't even cloth--they are plastic!) and uber-thick fitteds and prefolds that require so much water to launder and electricity to get dry. We as consumers as pulled into thinking we are saving both money and the environment with their cloth diapers, when in truth we are saving neither. I added up what it costs me to wash diapers twice a week without even paying for water (I have a well) and it comes out to $400 over two years. That's not counting the cost of the diapers themselves! I could use walmart sposies for $775 for two years!

I am not trying to discourage CDing as I think it is HUGELY important for environmental reasons. But not if we use 7 water changes for a single load, 3 times a week. I push flats or preflats so we can get back to simple, cheap, green(er) CDing using as few nonrenewable resources as possible--washing on as low a temp as we can and as infrequently as we can, with the least amount of water as we can. Totally realistic with flats or preflats. I have been doing it for 7 years.

Sorry for the hijack. It was aimed at CD makers and their misleading claims, not you . End rant.
I totally agree with this in regards to pockets and AIOs. I haven't really thought of this before though, so I would love more information. Right now we are in love with fitteds and a hybrid diaper (shell + several layers of thin, snap-in cotton inserts) at night with our heavy wetter. I've tried prefolds at night and it would take 2 or 3 to absorb all that pee! We mainly use prefolds during the day or single-layer fitteds. But at night I can't imagine using anything thinner.