View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can someone help me answer this "birds and bees" question for my 5.5 yr old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
No, she does not go to school, and she does not play with any kids without OUR direct supervision, and all of her playmates are ones that we know their families closely and this is not a topic that has come up.

I was pregnant when she was 3 going on 4, and now again, when she is 5 going on 6.

Also, she has seen cows give birth, and we've had pretty extensive conversations (just me answering her questions but WOW she has a LOT of questions!) about chickens and eggs and how they are fertilized, etc.

She knows a mommy has an egg and a daddy has a sperm and that the two have to get together to make the baby. Once they meet the baby starts growing.

Here's how some of the convo went yesterday:

DD: How did your egg get fertilized?
Me: Mommy's have eggs and Daddy's have another part and when they come together, they fertilize the egg and it grows into a baby.
DD: What other part do Daddy's have?
Me: It's called sperm.
DD: How did the sperm get to your egg?
Me: The Daddy gives the sperm to the Mommy for the egg.
DD: Did he hand it to you? How did it get to your egg?
Me: Remember where Mommy's have their eggs?
DD: Yes, in their tummy's........ So you swallowed it then? You swallowed the sperm?
Me: No.
DD: Then how did it get to your egg?
Me: Do you remember where the baby comes out?
DD: Yes, the private parts.
Me: Yup. So that is where the sperm has to go to get to the egg.
DD: So you put the sperm inside your vagina?
Me: Kind of.
DD: How did that feel mommy? Did it feel funny?
Me: We'll talk about it more another time.

I feel like I failed. Ugh. I know next time it comes up I need to just give straight forward answers. I just don't want to give too much info too soon. KWIM?
You did really great. Lat year when my oldest was 4.5 and I was pregnant she started asking questions. She was asking questions I was absolutely not prepared for, I was answering but not well. I guess I gave her the impression it was magic because next thing I knew she was talking about how daddy used his magic wand to put the baby in my belly. Dh offered ice cream at that point and the magic wand theory has only come up two times since.