qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: How to lower water bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I went back to your OP to double check my math and I realized I had missed your extra rinse at the end....So it would be more like 1260 gallons on the low end....Just for diapers. And half of those water changes are utilizing your water heater....

I am not trying to make you feel bad, please know that. I am just incredibly frustrated with the cloth diaper industry that sells these crazy microfiber diaper inserts (which aren't even cloth--they are plastic!) and uber-thick fitteds and prefolds that require so much water to launder and electricity to get dry. We as consumers as pulled into thinking we are saving both money and the environment with their cloth diapers, when in truth we are saving neither. I added up what it costs me to wash diapers twice a week without even paying for water (I have a well) and it comes out to $400 over two years. That's not counting the cost of the diapers themselves! I could use walmart sposies for $775 for two years!

I am not trying to discourage CDing as I think it is HUGELY important for environmental reasons. But not if we use 7 water changes for a single load, 3 times a week. I push flats or preflats so we can get back to simple, cheap, green(er) CDing using as few nonrenewable resources as possible--washing on as low a temp as we can and as infrequently as we can, with the least amount of water as we can. Totally realistic with flats or preflats. I have been doing it for 7 years.

Sorry for the hijack. It was aimed at CD makers and their misleading claims, not you . End rant.
Your math doesn't quite add up though. I tried the Wal-mart cheapies. They didn't even hold a tablespoon of ebf poop without leaking. One poopie leak meant his clothing and whatever he touched had to be washed. This would have lead to 2-3 loads of laundry daily the first 2-3 months after my son was born. On average he was pooping hourly. We did use up the pampers diapers the hospital sent home with us. They sent home 4 full packages of 20 diapers each. He went through a package a day. At that rate the first month would have cost us $300. By the third month of this $900. We wanted to use up some cheap diapers someone had given us so I started in on those. He wore 2 and leaked both times. The diapers didn't even absorb anything. The poop and even the pee just ran out his legs. So using those we would have had increased laundering costs as well as diapering costs. When we added up the costs of huggies or pampers plus wipes without the benefit of coupons(I stink at couponing) it came closer to $3000+. This was figureing that by the time he potty trained the cost would have averaged out to $100 a month. The first 3 months making up for the fewer diapers he would have used the last 6 months before potty training.

Not to say I have anything against flats at all. Most of my diapers are flats. My son is in flats 75% of the time. It does allow us to go 3 days between washing instead of 2 days. Just saying no way would we be able to sposie diaper our son for less than $1000. He is currently almost 16 months old. I figure that as of right now sposies would have cost us around $2200.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote