View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #60
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

I would love to tell you that I have some fabulous, organized regime with my hens and feeding pumpkin, garlic and ACV. I don't.

But, for what it's worth, here it is. This time of year, pumpkins are plentiful. We get bunches of pumpkins from our neighbour (free of charge, he plants them to feed deer on his farm and we can help ourselves to cattle corn, pumpkins, etc....). I crack a pumpkin open with an ax and let the hens pick away at it. They LOVE it, especially on a day where I cannot let them free range as much as I would like. I feed them a lot of pumpkin this time of year until December-ish when the pumpkins will run out. Then I might buy them a pie pumpkin or two if I can find them cheap.

With the ACV, when I think of it or when they need a boost, I sprinkle a little into their waterers. Or, I may do the same with a little minced garlic (not at the same time, not making salad dressing here ). I do know you should not put garlic in galvinized steel because the garlic can interact with the waterer and pull zinc (I believe).

Don't get me wrong, if I saw evidence of worms or issues, we would not be opposed to medicating them. But, we don't treat our own bodies with chemicals here, unless necessary, so I don't do it to our animals either.

Now, this is all coming from a woman who brings a big bowl of hot oatmeal to the barn every morning in the winter because I like to see how happy the girls are for a warm breakfast. And, a woman who would was tempted to make these last winter:

So, take it for what it's worth.