View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #30
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you ever feel judged regarding not circumcising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
If someone looked at me like a freak because I chose not to mutilate my son, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to spend time with them. So that part wouldn't bother me.

People around here are more surprised than grossed out or anything else, because circumcision is SOP. Anyone I've talked to in depth about it actually seems genuinely interested when I explain why, cite statistics, etc. If a circumcision "experience" conversation comes up, my contribution is just something along the lines of "I didn't circ DS because I couldn't bear to be responsible for him losing part of his body and going through intense pain for a cosmetic procedure." Most of the time the topic gets dropped. Haha

They won't be the odd ones out, though. Circumcision is becoming less and less common. Don't worry, you did the right thing. and if they protest, you can always remind them that they can get it done later - and HOW it has to be done. I think my brother only complained once, before our mother explained and he realized what had to happen for him to "look like the other guys".

Totally agree.
I'm pretty sure with your attitude and view that people mutilate their child, they wouldn't want to spend time with you as well. No wonder people are turned off by activists who are rude.