View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
RainandRedemption
Registered Users
Formerly: windandrainmama
seller
seller

Re: Is it possible to parent your children without lying to them? Do you try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
Can you give an example of what are we talking about here? Santa Claus, tooth fairy kind of stuff or neighbors dog gets run over and you say something like he found a new home.
Well both. The first you are giving information which isn't true, the second you are saying something that's true in a sense but it leaves the child thinking that the dog is alive somewhere else.

The reason I'm asking is because someone said on a thread earlier that you can NOT parent without lying and I just don't think that's true. So what I'm asking is can you parent in a way that, to your knowledge and ability to be aware of, does not convery false things to your kids? Is it possible to be honest with your kids all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
it's possible. i don't lie to my kids ever or withhold info to give a false perspective. saying, "i'm not comfortable discussing that right now" is the truth
Right. Or you can flat out say "I'm just not going to talk about this right now." I honestly can't think of a topic that I don't feel like I can discuss with my kids... but when something comes up that I cant think of how to address it at the time I'll tell them that I don't want to talk about it now but I will later

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
I got that, but you do withhold period to give a false perspective. If that wasn't the point than you wouldn't withhold.
RainandRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote