RainandRedemption
Registered Users
Formerly: windandrainmama
seller
seller

Re: The power of Santa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
I recently convinced my children that white bread was illegal. They wouldn't buy that it is just not good for us, when asking why we don't buy it more often. I blurted out that it was illegal and they believed me. To the point where DD now refers to it as "W.B." and when she spotted it in the bakery aisle she panicked that the store owners would get in trouble. My kids are going to need major therapy, but I still find it funny.

I personally don't use Santa that way, but I think sometimes a mama has to do what a mama has to do.

And, I do consider omitting information to be lying. I don't see how it is not a lie. So, yes, I think most of us lie to our kids about something because it just, plain is not appropriate for them to know all adult information.
DH says this kind of stuff all the time. I have to tell them when he's joking half the time, otherwise they would be REALLY confused!!

I guess the definition of lying is so open to interpretation too, I had never really thought about that before. But things I do that I don't consider lying other people do. I don't mean to make anyone feel like I think I know what's best and I'm trying to tell other people how to parent. Mostly I operate on the assumption that we're all doing the best we can, and no one can assume someone else's circumstances so why bother trying... yk?
My "honesty" posting yesterday was triggered by I guess some emotional baggage from the way I was treated as a kid. But I mean I don't think the "white lies" most parents tell are going to emotionally destroy a kid or anything.