Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Will this ever happen?

DS is 3y7m. He understands the concept of the potty and what's supposed to happen with it. He goes to the bathroom with me every time I do, and has even pottied in the potty a few times since I bought the thing when he was 18 months old. However, he is refusing to go potty in the potty with any regularity. He says "No, I'll just go in my diaper."

He HATES being naked. If I take his diaper off, he will just lay there. And if I don't put another one on, he becomes hysterical (I tried putting on underwear, or doing the whole letting him go naked thing, and both have been met with crazy, irrational screaming fits).

I've had to go back to work recently, and while I would prefer he use cloth diapers, I can't really require my 72yo FIL use them since DS will pee/poo in a diaper until it almost explodes, and FIL doesn't always catch when DS needs a change. Also, DS is eventually going to have to go into preschool/daycare once I start working full time, and most in this area require kids his age and older to be potty trained.

I try not to be frustrated and to tell myself that he's only 3, and there is still time for this, but it's so hard when he looks me straight in the face and says "I'm not going to use the potty. I prefer to pee in my diaper." (Yes, he says it just like that).

My FIL wants DS potty trained, but if I don't give him some kind of method to follow, I'm afraid he'll go about it all wrong and make things worse (he spends most of the day with DS, so he would be doing most of the training, and since his youngest is 36yo and he had no hand in potty training the first time around anyway, I'm afraid he has no background in this).

How do I address potty training with a child that understands what he is supposed to do and absolutely refuses to do it? Am I doomed to have to wait this out? What if he's 5 and about to go to school and still says "I'd rather go in my diaper."