View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
sweetpeapumpkinbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Will part-time underwear be confusing? / Update:Full time underwear!

Okay, my son is 13 months old, and we have done very part-time EC since he was 6 wks. By that, I mean, we offer at diaper changes, after naps and waking in the morning, if I think he's going to poo, and maybe a few other random times. He usually pees on the potty when we offer, and has done the vast majority of poos on the potty since he was 8 (ish?) months old.

The last month or two I've noticed he looks at me when he needs to poo; which is nice, because before that it was just me noticing his body language, etc, and this makes it seem like he's noticing, too. This week he's told me twice when we were out that he needed to poo (by saying "please?" and then making a raspberry noise), and waited until we got to the bathroom and undressed/on the potty, and then pooed . I am ridiculously excited about this new development!

He has 3 pairs of gerber training underwear that I will occasionally put him in (if they're clean, etc), and he seems to notice more if he pees in them than he does when he pees in the diaper. He'll say "Done!" or fuss and try to get me to pick him up if he trainers are wet. He sometimes does this in a diaper, but not nearly as often. So I bought some more (they're on their way now). I thought that I might put him in the training pants for a certain amount of time each day, and really focus on his signals and trying to offer the potty more often during that time. I thought maybe this would help him get a better awareness of needing to pee, like he seems to be doing with poo.

But then, today, I was worrying, will this confuse him? I mean, I don't know if I want to commit to full-time underwear right now (I'm worried about the time investment involved with trying to keep them dry). So, do you think it would be confusing to him to be in underwear part of the day, and be run to the potty at more frequent intervals, and then be back in diapers for the rest of the day? Right now, it seems like he notices a difference between underwear and diapers, and I don't want to inadvertently teach him that they're the same, or that he doesn't need to signal when he's in a diaper, or something.

Advice/Opinions Welcome!

Last edited by sweetpeapumpkinbaby; 11-20-2012 at 09:58 AM.
sweetpeapumpkinbaby is offline   Reply With Quote