View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Question for the Non-Santa Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
I would think that the reasons for wanting children to know where the gifts came from might vary, but I think it is important for children to understand that the gifts are not limitless and easily replaceable and they should value what they get and show gratitude. I remember when I was younger I dated a guy for a while and he had much younger half siblings. We went to his dad's house for Christmas and they got the most presents I have ever seen in my life. It looked like a Toys R Us in their living room. And still the kids were saying things like, "I didn't put this on my list. This isn't the one I wanted!" and didn't say thank you or seem very excited about any of it. It made me really sad. And if I was the parent, I think I would have been disappointed and frustrated that my efforts were so unappreciated. I would imagine that if the children knew where the presents came from, they would have been more polite about it. Since Santa wasn't there in the room, they didn't have to worry about offending him, right?
I disagree. I think ungrateful kids will be ungrateful no matter what, regardless of Santa. I have seen some kids be incredibly rude and ungrateful about gifts when the giver is sitting right next to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Freak_955 View Post
We don't 'do' Santa for many reasons. Getting credit for presents is not really one of them but I wanted to provide an anecdote.
When my parents divorced, it got nasty. I already knew Santa wasn't real but my sister was 4 and believed in him wholeheartedly. When Christmas came and Santa gave a few presents instead of the hundreds my sister was used to, she knew she had some how been 'bad'. It was really traumatizing to her. When my youngest sister was born, my mom gave a few small Santa presents but the big ones were from her, so my sister never experienced that in case my mom couldn't provide more at a later time.
Your poor sister.