View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #75
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
Re: Is it possible to parent your children without lying to them? Do you try?

Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
We lie to our children and I'm not ashamed of it. There are just certain things that children do not need to know. I don't look at it so much as lying per say . I see it more as protecting them. Ex: DS colored a picture and he asked me "Mommy is this the most beautiful picture you have ever seen?" I said "Yes, baby! If I had told the truth I would of had a crushed little boy.
I dunno, I see what you are trying to say, but I think there are ways to answer that positively WITHOUT hurting their feelings.

My kids ask that kind of stuff too, of course. I usually answer with, "That is SO BEAUTIFUL! Wow!" And a great big hug. They don't even notice that I didn't actually answer their question, they just wanted a response.

This morning my 5.5 yr old tried to make us breakfast. She brought me and DH each a pear, a carrot, a string cheese, and a yogurt. It was so sweet. But I can't eat that in the morning b/c I'm pregnant and have a finicky stomach. So I just thanked her profusely and gave her lots of hugs and appreciation, and when she looked up and me and said "Aren't you gonna eat it mama?" I honestly said, "Aw baby, I wish I could but my tummy is so upset from the new baby, I can only eat eggs in the morning. But THANK YOU SO MUCH!"

I can't think of any instance where I've felt I had no way to answer them other than to lie.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote