View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #77
Registered Users
Re: Is it possible to parent your children without lying to them? Do you try?

Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I dunno, I see what you are trying to say, but I think there are ways to answer that positively WITHOUT hurting their feelings.

My kids ask that kind of stuff too, of course. I usually answer with, "That is SO BEAUTIFUL! Wow!" And a great big hug. They don't even notice that I didn't actually answer their question, they just wanted a response.

This morning my 5.5 yr old tried to make us breakfast. She brought me and DH each a pear, a carrot, a string cheese, and a yogurt. It was so sweet. But I can't eat that in the morning b/c I'm pregnant and have a finicky stomach. So I just thanked her profusely and gave her lots of hugs and appreciation, and when she looked up and me and said "Aren't you gonna eat it mama?" I honestly said, "Aw baby, I wish I could but my tummy is so upset from the new baby, I can only eat eggs in the morning. But THANK YOU SO MUCH!"

I can't think of any instance where I've felt I had no way to answer them other than to lie.
I agree with all of this, and this is the kind of thing we try to do as well. We don't do the "white lies." IMO, they aren't white!

Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Also totally agree with this, and it made me
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote