View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
ecotwinmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can anyone tell me how to make any of these items? Also, menu ideas?

Sorry for the long post, but simple, scratch cooking is my passion.

Here are some of our everyday go to meals:

Mac & Cheese
Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a saute pan on med/low heat until it starts to barely bubble, wisk in 1-2 Tablespoons of flour and cook until you get a thick paste. (This is called a roux, great for thickening sauces)

Wisk in 1 and 1/2 cups of milk and stir until simmers and thickens.

Wisk in grated cheese (about 1 cup) until melted.

Add more cheese if you like it thicker, more milk to thin.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Pour over hot noodles.

You can make it ahead and stir into cooked and cooled noodles, put into a buttered casserole dish and top with grated cheese and bread crumbs to be reheated in the oven before eating.

You can also add spices when you add the milk. We like garlic and onion powder with chedder, italian herbs with parmesan or asiago.

Crock Pot Roasted Chicken: (much cheaper than breasts)

Put one whole chicken in a crock pot, season (I use either lemon pepper, seasoning salt or my old stand-by garlic and onion powder with salt and pepper). Cook on high for 4 hours and let cool. Debone and shred. Re-heat chicken in the liquid from the bottom of the crock pot (may be gelatinous, this is good thing, it will melt with heat.)

Use for chicken tacos, bbq chicken sandwiches, chicken soup (cook noddles in store bought chicken broth with onion, celery, carrots, when noodles are done add chicken and frozen corn and peas), heat until simmering.

Homemade bread is filling and impressive and with the 5 minute a day method is easy and inexpensive. recipe starts on page 4 - http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...tes-A-Day.aspx

I don't have all of the fancy stuff they recommend. I bake mine on a cookie sheet and let is rest on a cutting board and it works just fine. Also great for making pizza crust, bread sticks and sweet rolls.

Try not to worry about being the perfect hostess, just relax and enjoy your visitors!

Good luck!
ecotwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote