View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about being Gluten free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
We are gluten, soy, dairy and egg free. That wipes a whole lot of prepackaged stuff off of our menu. But, IMO that is a good thing for my waistline and wallet, that stuff is $$
We just eat whole foods. I don't try to buy or make gf breads of pizza crusts anymore, it just doesn't turn out well and the flours are super expensive. We just go without. I would suggest that approach if you are just going to do a gf trial to see if it helps your symptoms. Just stick to one ingredient items, such as fruits, veggies, lean meats (with no solutions added), potatoes, rice...gluten is in so many items that there is a pretty big learning curve to avoiding it completely. Just go easy on yourself and don't eat anything that you don't cook from scratch at home. Watch for cross contamination and also things like coffee, meds, vitamins, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMamma View Post
LOL Basically nothing that's in a package/on the inside of the grocery store isles. I buy lots online & in bulk, we raise nearly all our own meat & grow what we can here. I make everything from scratch, even things like salad dressing, nut butters, etc by looking at ingredients/recipes & subbing things I can use to create the same things everyone else eats but without the allergens.

Lots of produce, meat/proteins, nuts, beans, grainlike things like buckwheat, almond/pecan/other nut meals/flours... honestly, we eat a TON of variety. More than we ever did before having to change to this diet. It's amazing how many other options are out there that I never knew about before. Nearly everything in the store seems to have one, some, or all of those ingredients in them.
Would y'all mind sharing meal plans??

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!

Last edited by HillbillyMama; 10-08-2012 at 03:02 PM.
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote