Old 10-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Parenting style: Raising a person

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Well, some people would disagree about the hearing vs. not, because they don't see being deaf as a disability or a problem that needs to be fixed, and consider being a part of the Deaf community the only viable option if you truly respect your child. As for religion, others would argue that they are educating their child on their faith, not brainwashing them. It could just as easily be argued that nonreligious parents are brainwashing their children to also be nonreligious.

I also think we have to be careful in assuming that everyone parenting "mainstream" is just going along with it. Plenty of people have done extensive research on vaccines and chose to vaccinate, for example. I think in some things too we have to consider the possibility that everyone is doing something because it works.
There was a long thread here a couple of years ago where we went around and around about how no matter what you purposely teach or don't teach, you instill ideas into your children when it comes to religion or lack thereof. Even allowing your child to just decide for themselves teaches them that it is a decision for them to make and figure out, which is just another of the myriad of philosophies surrounding religion. It's just not possible to not influence/brainwash.