View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone here have a vintage stove in their kitchen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
THIS is pretty much exactly what my kitchen looks like, with some minor differences.

Our house was built in 1961 and I am about 90% sure that these are the original appliances that came with the house.

I'll be honest, I hate them.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE (did I mention I HATE) cleaning the stove top. It is such a colossal pain in the rear end to have to remove every coil and then the drip pan underneath and then wash those AND the cavity underneath the drip pans INSIDE the stove top. I flipping hate it.

My oven doesn't heat evenly and it costs me more to run my oven than it does to run my TV, washer, dryer, AND computer.... COMBINED.

I'm just biding my time until I can afford a new kitchen, with new appliances.
I have been reading a good bit and the way yours look, they are some of the ones to avoid. A few articles now are saying to go for ones made in the 50's as they work and look better than those in the 60's. Anything from the 60's to 80's just looks dated I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by missemily View Post
My MIL has a vintage gas range in her basement that I would love to 'borrow' since I have gas in my house I yearn for more than 4 burners with all the cooking I do.

This is a beauty....
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/app/3253849965.html

or this one...
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/atq/3263942590.html
Love the first one. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
I do. It burns gas like crazy. The pilot is so hot that there is always palpable heat coming off the stovetop and you can't set anything down without heating it up. Great for drying pots and pans and softening butter though!

Also, the oven runs HOT. We got an oven thermometer and it runs 200+ degF hotter than the dial says. We have yet to figure out a reliable calibration.

I would get a refurbished one and not just a true vintage stove. They are super inefficient.
Do you know the maker and year of yours?
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote