View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Talking Minimalist/raw/from scratch cooking help needed!

We have been in China 2 months now and if I make fried rice one more time for dinner there will be a complete mutiny!

I'm in search of blogs, sites, your favorite recipes, etc we face the following challenges:

-dairy products are prohibitively expensive, we splurge every now and them but at about $16 for a gallon of milk and $10 for 8oz of cheese they are bank breakers.

-if it comes in a can chances are it will be sold out from the imported grocer, I went to five stores trying to find one can of cream of mushroom campbells cooking soup last week.

-anything processed or premade is hard to find or also very expensive. Spaghetti noodles run $5 for 500grams (about a pound), tortillas, crackers, etc also fall into this category. Most of the time it's sold out when I go to the imported grocer.

-working with mainly raw ingredients and pretty much everything is done by hand, I have a few tools like a chopper, garlic press and a hand mixer but that's about it.

-I can get imported meat but have yet to break down and buy any, tofu, however is very easy to come bye and in many varieties.

-we don't really have an oven, we have a countertop device that holds an 8x8 pan max, it world in celcius and I don't know what the settings are as it's in mandarin. I do however have a tiny microwave, a crockpot (with inverter) and a three burner gas stove.

In my favor, and if you're still with me I have nothing but time. DD is at school 7 hours a day and little miss is good at self entertaining.

Please help before my entire family revolts!

LiFe iS wHaT yOu MaKe iT, LeMoNs MaKe GrEaT lEmOnAdE
Somewhat crunchy, exercise freaky, hot Mommy to DD1 (8/14/07) and DD2 (8/4/11)

Last edited by sblakeley; 10-09-2012 at 03:09 AM.
sblakeley is offline   Reply With Quote