View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #14
ecomama90
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Men that try to push sports on kids... what do you do?

I grew up in a European household where soccer was the end all and be all.. from the very beginning we were exposed to it. First team I joined I was 5 years old. We lived, breathed, and ate soccer haha.. it was the SAME routine. Practice 2 times week, going to watch the local soccer team during the week, 2 team practices a week, watching European league on Saturday mornings over breakfast and games on Sundays. Up until I hurt myself pretty badly at the age of 16. I was left in a wheelchair and 9 months of rehab to walk again. It was then that I realized that it was the ONLY thing my father and I had in common. When I got hurt, his entire attitude and the way he looked at me changed. I was no longer the daughter who would get that soccer scholarship. To this day I feel a tension between us. The doctors said if I tried to get back at it I wouldn't walk by my late 20s. He couldn't take that as an answer and took me to 9 different doctors for opinions. Finally, my mom told him to stop and to let it go because she saw what it was doing to me. To this day our relationship is still awkward and I blame his love of sports for it. I think there is a limit, to push it where it isn't welcome is a bit much. My daughter is 6 months old and he's already bought her a couple jerseys and her "first pair of cleats" and already talks to my husband about which team to sign her up for so she has the best chance at succeeding. It drives me NUTS, and my husband feels the same way. He told him that our daughter will decide what she wants to do when she's old enough to do it. We'll expose her to different things and she can choose. Well, he didn't like that answer at all. Oh well, I just try to drown it out.. it's hard, I totally understand where you are coming from.
ecomama90 is offline   Reply With Quote