View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Can someone give me some advice?

Just to get it out of the way - I guess we're not "TRULY" homeschooling - we're doing virtual school So public school curriculum, with a public school teacher online and we just complete it all at home.

So far I really like it, because I know she isn't falling behind academically, I don't have to worry if she's meeting state standards, and I have all the curriculum ready for me, organized into lessons for each day that I just complete with her and then check off when we're done. I'm not the best at organization, and I get frustrated quickly, so this method is good for me. I feel like it makes teaching her at home "idiot proof" KWIM?

.... Except I feel some of it is kind of over the top. Like, they have my Kindergarten DD doing planning, a rough draft, and a final copy every couple of weeks, which to me is a LOT to ask of a 5 y/o....

And some of the lessons I think are stupid, or just pointless. Like, they have her in keyboarding. She has to sit in front of the computer and practice typing for 30 mins, with her fingers on the home keys. I think typing is a useful skill, but not for a 5 y/o. And her attention span is just not that long to sit and punch letters on a keyboard, holding her fingers a certain way for such a long time. I could see some sort of "computer game" type thing to INTRODUCE her to using a keyboard properly, but it is literally a string of letters and she has to sit and type type type type, with her fingers on home keys. It's boring to watch and it's like torture trying to get her to do it.

Or, sometimes the lessons are just discussions. Recently, they have us discussing "stranger danger" for THREE days! My kids already know about stranger danger, and going on and on about it for 3 days is just kind of a bit much, and fear mongering, too, IMO.

What do I do about this? I am really uncomfortable switching to a different method right now. I want to finish out the year at least.

But I'm having trouble keeping her motivated, I'm having trouble getting motivated myself, and I'm really scared to try something that would be easier to fail at.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote