Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone give me some advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
They don't actually KNOW if you don't do everything EXACTLY, but you are supposed to. I kind of feel like I'm cheating the system or something.I am going to skip the last 2 days of stranger danger b/c I think 3 days of it is excessive. I am also letting her just do a smaller amount of keyboarding. Like today I only made her do 10 mins.

We just submitted one of her big writing assignments - about what she wore that day, so one long sentence ("I am wearing a pink shirt and a black hello kitty skirt with dark pink socks and silver shoes") - she did a planning page, TWO rough drafts, a final copy and then also a graph, and the teacher is asking me "where is her drawing for this assignment?" Maybe I'm the one who's wrong, but seriously? She wrote SO MUCH and you're complaining over her not drawing it? Oy.

Anyways, thanks for all the perspectives. We'll just keep plugging away but I do think I might trim a little here and there that I think is excessive or unnecessary, and stick to the core concepts to be sure she's got those down.
I don't know if this will help or not, but just offering a little perspective. I taught first grade for several years and my lesson plan book was full. It was because I needed to make sure that 27 kids understood/mastered the concepts taught. I typically had three or four activities for each objective and would start with the one that I thought most kids would get and then moved on from there. If 15 kids got it through one activity, then we would do another (from a different learning style)-then maybe 6 or so more would catch on. At that point, I kind of had to decide to do another activity or go on and catch up the handful that remained with one of the other activities I had planned during a center time. Not always did I do everything that I planned. I felt like it was pointless to beat a dead horse, KWIM? I would look at the charter lessons in the same way. If I were you, I would do the activity and if your DD gets it, then why beat the horse.

As far as writing, that is some serious monotony! I really see the importance of following the writing steps, but even with DD2 (4th grade), I will sometimes write out the planning stage or even type while she dictates if it will be really long. Then we print it out, revise on the paper, correct the document, and print again. Personally, I don't see the sense in writing the same sentence 3-4 times when you are 5yo. Now, sometimes we do things just b/c we have to and I try to teach my kids that as well. Don't worry if you don't do everything 100% to the letter, as long as she has the concepts.
Get craft kits from Kristin's Crafts for Kids and on FB
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote