View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to do when you feel like you're falling behind?

I wanted to respond to this and never got the time.

I feel behind sometimes. But, this is the biggest reason we choose to school year round. We have more time to have things get in the way of school. I have 5 kids who are 6 and under and I'm due any day with my 6th. Life gets crazy. Schooling year round allows for a lot more of that.

The other things is for the younger years, we do mostly focus on reading/phonics and math. We do science but it's more of unschooling science so far. We have a science curriculum and when we get to it, we do it. Otherwise, he gets a lot of books from the library, watches documentaries, and learns through play outside and such. I try to focus it on what the unit we should be doing is, but I don't worry too much if it's not the same. (I don't worry about history. It's built into his reading/phonics and he's only in 1st.) To make my life easier, I do have a boxed curriculum, almost completely open and go.

If I were you, I'd find ways to simplify and just keep doing the best you can. Renew your efforts and just keep going.

I get distracted too. Right now, we should be doing school, but I'm very tired. So, I'm sitting at the computer and the kids are watching TV, not educational. I have a few other things I have to do, like pay bills. I'm more focused right now on staying on top of everything that needs to be done around the house so that when I go into labor it's done. (Of course, it's taking so long that this is the hundredth time I've paid the bills and cleaned the bathrooms and on and on to make sure it is all done before I deliver. *sigh*) We haven't consitantly done school in about a month now, but I'm not that worried even though I'm not very happy with it either. When we do get back to our regular routine, we'll just pick up and keep going till we are done with 1st.

Hopefully, you are just going through a busy time and it will slow down for you.