View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
shouldbedoinglaundry
Registered Users
seller
seller

What do you do when cars speed down your street?

I usually give the "slow down" sign (hand outstretched, move it up and down a couple of times) to give the subtle signal that I want cars to slow down.

I was hit by a car as teenager and have a very healthy respect for the damage a car can do to a human body; multiple surgeries later, I still feel pain every time I take a step.

I have toddlers and a baby and they constantly run in the street and because of my injury, I cannot run after them as fast as I would like to. I am still trying to teach them every day not to go in the street, but two times out of ten, a child ends up stepping into the street.

An angry passerby stopped at my house yesterday and told me that I have no right to tell him to slow down. "Yeah, maybe I speed past, but I'm not going that fast". He then went on to tell me that his son was hit by a car and that he still doesn't appreciate me telling him to slow down. I held my ground and asked him to simply obey the law and watch for my boys.

How would you handle the situation? I think it ended OK since I didn't speak rudely or in a harsh tone to him.

What do you do in your neighborhood to ask people to slow down? Do you just tolerate it? Say something? I have heard of people throwing rocks in the street in front of speeding cars! Not my style, but I am wondering if other people have ideas.

My biggest goal is to preserve neighborly relations and keep my kids safe.

My ISO/IHA
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...3#post15551593
shouldbedoinglaundry is offline   Reply With Quote