View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Say something to the teacher or let it go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
If they are actually only getting 15 minutes a day, per school policy, I would begin working to change that policy. Address it with the principal, the school board, whereever that sort of thing goes. That's not long enough to eat at all! To be honest, I DO agree with how the teacher is handling things like goofing in line and such. I don't think that's the problem, I think the real problem is the policy of a 15 minute lunch. I think that's what needs to change.
Gotta say I agree with that.

Also, ODD gets 30 minutes for lunch in Kindergarten here, and STILL comes home with half or more of her lunch uneaten and she is starving. Not sure what the deal is, but I can't imagine she just doesn't have time to eat.

My neighbor complains that her 8 and 10 year olds do the same thing - they just get busy talking to all their friends and "forget" to eat. If being hungry every day doesn't convince them to start actually eating at lunch time, there isn't much you can do!

And one last story. DH tells me all the time about how he only got 20 minutes to eat lunch in high school and that he was such a slow eater... he had to learn to eat FAST, and now he scarfs all his food so fast he barely tastes it... Ugh. It is ridiculous.

Good luck. But my bet is that the teacher sees a LOT of students that don't eat their food, and certainly can't force kids to eat. You will likely have better luck trying to get them a longer lunch period to begin with.