View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Indymomof3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Starting home schooling after a bad start to the school year at public school

Thank you everyone for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
What kind of learner is your DD? Also what type of curriculum would you feel most comfortable teaching? Ideally you would find something that is what both of you would most want.

I have a 4th grader that is very antsy, strong-willed and disagreeable on most days. On the upside, she is super smart and works well hands-on. We are doing Saxon 5/4, Scott Foresman Grammar/Writing (free online workbook), Spelling using the lists from Homespellingwords.com plugged into spellingcity.com. Story of the World Volume 1 (audio) with Mystery of History Volume 1 (read aloud if possible), Geography in 5 Minutes a Day (Scholastic e-book), Apologia Astronomy with Notebooking Journal. We're Catholic, so we're also doing a saint study right now. I have actual religion texts in my Amazon cart, but so far they haven't been purchased.

Her reviews...
She hates Saxon. They expect her to sit for an hour and do math. Ugh!
Grammar and Spelling are tolerable b/c she can do them both in under 30 minutes. The writing bugs her only b/c I make her plan, write, revise and do a final copy (oh the horror!)
She loves history, geography and science. There's a lot more moving around and she loves to be read to.

My side: I don't care if she hates Saxon or not. I want her to do well at math. I was taught with Saxon and I know math very well. I give on a lot of other things, so I don't fell bad about pushing the math issue. I'm not sure the grammar is meaty enough, so when we're done with the workbook, we'll probably do quite a bit of diagramming (b/c I'm the nerd that likes diagramming sentences). Until just the last week or so, we've had trouble getting history and science in on a regular basis. I changed up the format so that they have an assignment to read each day and if I can read it aloud, I do. If not, it's up to them. Then we discuss it on the way to whatever evening activity we have. That's working pretty well so far.

Good luck to you in your search.
Lily is really smart, and she loves to read. She does have an attitude and likes to push her limits.
We used Saxon math and Scott Foresman at a school district I used to work at, so I am familiar with them. Do you use the same textbooks as PS or do they have a HS version? She was doing everyday math at her school.

I found out that our library has a whole HSing section! We are going to go check it out today.

I will try the free month of time4learning. I might use it as a supplement.