View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: S/O Am I the only one that had no idea spanking was still allowed in some states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
It's legal and practiced here. Alabama, public schools.

BUT, the parent always chooses whether their child is paddled or suspended. You get 5 licks or 5 days, for example.

My parents always chose paddling (I got caught smoking in the bathroom a lot ) because when you are suspended you can't make up work. They didn't care about smoking in the bathroom as long as I kept my 4.0 GPA.

It never hurt. It was pretty absurd, really.

I like having the option, as a parent, to choose which punishment fits with my parenting philosophies best.

My DS in in kindergarten, obviously I would choose suspension. If he's in high school and its the week of a big test that will greatly affect his class ranking? Bend over.

ETA: Even up through high school, the parent MUST be present during the paddling. I went to 5 different school districts in this state, and my child has already been in two, and its the same in all so I am assuming that is a statewide regulation. That absolutely cannot take your child into the office and paddle on a whim - they must follow the proper steps.
I agree with this post.

I think it serves a purpose. Esp for those ridiculous kids that get so out of control - throwing furniture, screaming, biting, attacking teachers and counselors - I bet *some* of those kids are kept in check knowing they might get paddled.

In a perfect world, all kids would listen easily, all parents would agree on how to discipline every child, and no one would ignore bad behavior and raise a monster... but this is reality, and unfortunately, not every kid responds to mild discipline, not every family knows how to be consistent with discipline, and sadly, some kids are completely ignored and allowed to become completely uncontrollable with no respect for any authority figure.

We do spank when the kids get ridiculous and out of control and there is no other way to get through to them, after we've tried every other method. I refuse to let my kid turn into a raging maniac throwing things, hitting people, pushing over furniture, etc. This is what some kids ARE DOING and the poor teachers and staff are at a total loss... they have to stand and helplessly watch. If they restrain the kid, they get in trouble for touching them and suddenly a parent is suing the school board. If they call the cops, people freak out that they're being outrageous. I think if they had permission to paddle a kid in that situation, they would be able to get the situation under control quickly, with minor disruption to everyone else, and return to normal, with less of a threat to teachers and staff, and less things getting damaged.

I think it's easy to get all up in arms about it when you forget the fact that teachers and staff really have very little they can do to stop an out of control kid who really does NOT care about suspension, grades, privileges being taken, etc.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote