View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #34
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Foods on the no-no list during pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani_p View Post
That's correct.

That said, I didn't follow the guidelines. I ate rare steak, over easy eggs, and sushi all the time.

I don't remember where it was, but some country recently advised pregnant women to avoid all raw veggies as well (in response to the spinach/ecoli thing). I think the guidelines have gone WAY TO FAR. They assume pregnant women aren't capable of any kind of risk assessment... so they make black and white rules that cater to the lowest common denominator/worst case scenario. Drives me bonkers. But, I guess the guidelines can't exactly say that fresh fish you caught this morning is okay raw, but sushi from the Quik-E Mart isn't... apparently that's too confusing.

Sorry for the rant. This is one of my pet peeves. All this was just to say, eat what you like how you like. Stick to whole foods as often as possible. Don't get drunk/do drugs/play with mercury thermometers and you'll probably be just fine.
I totally agree.

I think most guidelines are to cater to the people with the least amount of common sense. Common sense gets you pretty far.

We can't outlaw everything that has ever killed any person or their baby. If we did, all of a sudden you'd have pregnant women everywhere having to use motorized chairs, wearing helmets and steel-toed boots, eating nothing but grains and drinking only triple-purified water that has been boiled three times.

Just use common sense and moderation.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote