View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #56
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What were your medical reasons for circumcising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Here's a link that talks about several studies that were done about normal retraction.

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/

I think it's important that parents know in case they come across misinformed doctors. When DS's ped said he'd have to be circumcised, I knew it didn't sound right, but it had been so long since I'd read anything about it. Thankfully I came home and googled the info and found these studies. But for a parent who doesn't know and just trusts their doctor, it pains me to think there are doctors out there circumcising boys for being totally normal.

And for the OP, I know this probably seems like I'm getting off-topic. But, when discussing the need for circumcision, there are so many people who say they know someone who had to be circumcised as a child or adult, to the point it feels like an epidemic. And since it appears to be such a common problem, I think some parents are talked into circumcising their infant b/c they feel that problems are almost inevitable. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the "medical necessity" for late circumcisions stems from doctors not knowing any better, or from forcibly retracting which causes problems that do require circumcision. I think it's important to point out that when an intact penis is cared for properly (ie: left alone!) the chance of problems is incredibly rare!
Thank you for this link! My ds2 is almost 8 and his still does not retract. I have been getting anxious about it. I am nervous about it because we did very minimally retract to clean when he was an infant because I didn't know any better.