View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Starting home schooling after a bad start to the school year at public school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymomof3 View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice!

Lily is really smart, and she loves to read. She does have an attitude and likes to push her limits.
We used Saxon math and Scott Foresman at a school district I used to work at, so I am familiar with them. Do you use the same textbooks as PS or do they have a HS version? She was doing everyday math at her school.

I found out that our library has a whole HSing section! We are going to go check it out today.

I will try the free month of time4learning. I might use it as a supplement.
There is a Saxon homeschool series. To me, it is basically the same as classroom Saxon as far as style. The difference is that the lesson is written out in the text for the student as more of an independent learning experience. I typically don't go through the lesson with the girls. They just read it and if they have trouble doing any of the problems, they come ask and I sit down with them and talk them through it. Our schedule isn't as rigorous as some, , but it's working for us. We do math Monday-Thursday, about 1.5 hours each day. Then we take Friday off. Occasionally if I see that they need some help with a certain thing, I'll find a worksheet and throw that in on Friday, but they seem to be getting the concepts really well, so we've only had to do that a couple times.

Here is the Scott Foresman grammar book that we use. It is supposed to be a supplement to their reading program (which I used when I taught as well). It does go through the writing process and I try to expand that aspect out. Usually at some point through the week, the student is expected to write a paragraph using whatever specific element they are working with (this week was plural nouns). Instead of DD2 just slapping a few sentences together, which is what she would prefer to do, I had her go through the entire writing process. She'll write her final draft tomorrow (and her paragraph is 3 because she decided that one wasn't enough--we are making progress ).
Get craft kits from Kristin's Crafts for Kids and on FB
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote