TwistedBranches
Registered Users
Formerly: MommaCrunch82
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebella
How big (heavy) is your son? I believe EpiPens, even the Jr version, have a minimum weight.

What kind or rash are you talking about? Hives? Where is the rash located? How soon after eating do the rashes develop?

Any chance that you could be cross-contaminating foods? E.G: Your son is allergic to dairy. You cut a piece of cheese for a sandwich for yourself and use the same knife to cut your son a piece of melon. Son develops rash. So you think he's allergic to melon, when it was really the trace amounts of cheese on the knife that caused the reaction.

Any change in detergents/soaps/etc?

Do you have a history of atopy in your families? Not just allergies, but any immune issues?

Unfortunately, most non-allergy doctors (and even some allergists) know nothing about food allergies. Our family doc is fantastic, but when I was first questioning whether my child had a dairy allergy, his advice was to give him straight milk and see if he reacted. Thankfully, I had already been researching on my own and knew that was a dangerous idea!

The idea of building up tolerance is horrible! The is very poor advice. While some foods are currently being studied in controlled tolerance testing, it should in no way be tried without direct medical supervision!

There are no cures for food allergies. The best way to have a chance at outgrowing them is strict avoidance.

It IS possible to have many, many food allergies. But, it is rare.

If I were you, I would keep a detailed journal of everything your son eats and comes into contact with. Look for correlations between rashes and what he ate and did and look for patterns. It took months for me to figure out one of my kid's allergies.

Look for an allergist in your area. Keep in mind that if you do end up doing tests for food allergies (skin or blood), they have a 50% false positive rate. The false negative rate is much, much lower. Some kids respond more accurately to one test over the other.
This.

Food allergies are hard to pinpoint without a journal. My DH is allergic to all live cultures (sour cream, cheese, yogurt, raw milk, etc) He found out when he was 2 and his mom kept making him grilled cheese sandwiches and making him eat them and he kept getting sick- he ended up being tested and they figured out his allergy.

Epi is good to have on hand in case or anaphylaxis. The pediatric dose is .01mg/kg up to .3mg, or .3ml of epi 1:1000.

Benadryl works for hives and is DH's first line of defense against potential allergic reactions (it can usually subdue it enough until epi can be given).

Either way, follow what your pediatrician recommends, and in the case of any severe reaction (swelling of throat, face, wheezing, etc), call 911 and get checked out in the ER.

Both DH and I are both medics and see this a lot- It's just really important to know when to call for help if you have to. (I hope this doesn't scare you, it isn't my intent!)

Follow me on Pinterest! || Twisted Branches Woodburnings || TwistedBranches WAHM Thread
TwistedBranches is offline   Reply With Quote