View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: less then 2 months in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
I think it's completely unfair for lower income/middle income families who are struggling. If a parent cannot afford to buy shoes don't you think it makes them feel even more like total garbage because they can't afford a $17.99 tube of wrapping paper or a $8.97 frozen pizza? Most everyone in our extended family is just barely getting by...asking my Grandma on social security to buy crap she can't eat because she's on dialysis or asking my mil when she's disabled and my fil only is able to work sporadically for a trucking company...or my mom & stepdad who were both out of work for over 3 years? Nope...not gonna happen.

We're not within the public school system so my kids only do 1 fund raiser a year (boy scouts popcorn and girl scout cookies) and our families do buy because it's the only 1 (and dang that popcorn is YUMMY and hello? Thin Mints? Yes please) but if I were bugging them every 6 weeks? Uh nope...
Many of our kiddos belong to some 'big' churches in the area and many of the orders come from the congregants. Now we only do 2 fund raisers a year [ones that go outside of the school]. We have small ones in house, like snack cakes, candy, pencils, school stuff, etc for under $1 an item.

I understand about the low income. Our school [in our district] is THE lowest income one. We have a 95% free/reduced lunch population. But like I said their connections bring in some good funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knodceo View Post
Can't you ask what they need for the school and offer to donate that? I am sure TS frustrating. And what happens if the kids don't sell anything?
Then sadly the school goes with out.
Do you mean like ask the parents? Sorry, I'm a little tired tonight