View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #74
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What were your medical reasons for circumcising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenmom View Post
I think you may be correct. I'm in the midwest with a high rate of circumcision and I think a low rate of anesthesia. I could be wrong but when I witnessed in clinicals for nursing anesthesia was not used and it was the norm.
That's terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
A pediatrician tried to tell me DS would have to be circ'd because at age 4 he still couldn't retract. (He's going on 7 and still can't.) There were a couple studies done (I'll try to find the links) that showed the average age of retractibility was 10 years old, and it was still considered normal (though rare) into puberty.

For this reason, whenever I hear of someone who "had to be circ'd" as a child I wonder if it was simply because the doctor didn't know this.
I think that in areas where the circ rates are high doctors are probably less likely to wait it out and more likely to push circ for medical reasons. In other words, doctors will do it if it's medically beneficial versus medically necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
I will say thanks to a man we knew, I would not circ to help with future possibilities of penille cancer. I knew a man who well, we all knew was circed, cause he is Jewish who developed penille cancer, They had to remove almost the entirety of his penis due to cancer. He was in his early 40's and he was no longer going to be able to have intercourse with his wife, and had many other issues. They actually wanted to sue the doctors. But it was determined because of the cancer, and because he had been circed, they were unable to save the majority of his penis. It came out if he had not been circed, they could have saved a lot more of his penis (enough for intercourse for sure), because of the way the cancer formed and when the foreskin is present, there is more to work with. The man was crushed, and like others when you have a close experience to someone with circ issues, or non-circ issues, it can effect your views a whole lot.
This is an interesting (but very sad) post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
While there are often medical reasons cited for justifying circumcision, it doesn't make sense when you use the same justification for other things. For example, we don't do appendectomies or tonsillectomies at birth to avoid those problems as children or adults. The foreskin is the only part of the body that we cut off in advance to avoid problems. I know someone who chose to have a double mastectomy because she had a history of breast cancer in her family and didn't want to get breast cancer.
I believe we don't cut off girls breasts, but remove foreskins because (right now, for the most part) we see the foreskin as expendable whereas breasts (we know) serves a very important function AND we find them appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
Personal means for that person. Circed boys dont made that decision.

Also I dont see where anyone was bashing circ-ers
Many posters were talking medical reasons. There are few reasons and they are minimal thats all those mamas were pointing out.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
I think she meant to say "parental choice" versus "personal choice".