View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #23
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,851
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
Didn't read anyone else's responses, so just responding to you. :-)

I had DS by cs after an induction and 5 hrs of pushing. He was 10lbs 12oz and had his head cocked to the side with his ear to his shoulder (acynclitic presentation, widest possible diameter), and I had a still mostly intact hymen (it's a mystery to me how!)

DD was born at home - a vbac - after a textbook perfect homebirth. Literally the best thing I could have ever imagined! She was 9lbs 15oz. No complications.

My recovery after both births felt the same. It was rough and I had rough ppd and a rough start nursing with both.

If/when we have a third I feel torn about what we will do. After having my "dream vbac" I realized the actual delivery doesn't mean anything to me compared to how much I love my babies. :-) I love them both exactly the same! And I can see the courageous effort I put into both deliveries.

I'm not comfortable homebirthing again, bc my babies are so big. After having the perfect homebirth and holding my baby in my arms I was really struck by how much I was risking by doing all of this away from emergency care. Especially bc of their size and body shape. They both had wider chests/torsos than heads - by an entire inch (the head is supposed to be the widest part) and babies with that body type are the ones with the worst outcomes in the RARE cases of true shoulder dystocia.

The statistics are largely in favor of a safe delivery, for sure. But when I held my little girl for the first time I finally saw her as MY little girl and not a statistic.

The thought of attempting a hospital vbac (even after a successful hbac) is a little scary to me, so I'm open to scheduling a repeat cs, especially bc we know a third baby would be our last and the main risks of repeat cesareans are to future pregnancies (and to mom).

Those are mythoughts.
Thank you for sharing this point of view!!

I'm due in Dec and have struggled with my choice for a repeat c/s. DS1 was only 8lbs 7 oz but presented in the same way as your first and sunny-side up. After 36 hrs of labor and 3 hrs of pushing, he was born by c/s with finger marks all over his head from where my MW tried to manually turn him between contractions. This time around, I have GD and an umbilical hernia that NEEDS repaired and my OB feels like I have too many things stacked against me for a successful VBAC although she is willing to let me do a TOL. Unfortunately I am terrified of being another "failure" and going through that torture again only to end up in the OR so I've pretty much opted for the repeat c/s but still keep second guessing myself. I dealt with MAJOR guilt and shame after DSs delivery as I'm the only one in my family to not have an unmedicated natural birth and no one really understood the rough recovery I had. I think, for me, choosing a repeat c/s this time and having time to plan accordingly will at least let me feel somewhat in control of my birth and focus on a healthy baby and self regardless of the delivery method.

OP-best of luck!!! I hope you get the birth that you want and a healthy LO!
Happily married to my prince charming and SAHM to R (2/2010) and L (12/2012)
romansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote