View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: behaviour issues...diet??

Slimy72, we are vegetarians & I didnt even need to do the elimination diet for me to realise it was low sugar that was PARTLY causing my DS1 to behave so hyper.

We live in India, and processed foods have not made much into our homes since they are costly and early on, I read about how bad they are and for a long time now, we have avoided processed foods. The maximum our boys get are cookies and chocolates when someone comes over with it..and even those I scan and try to not give them that completely. We dont do packaged juices/ramen/bread/candies and niether of my boys like milk-and I refuse to use those chocolate flavored powders to make milk taste better.

At the most, they get about 2tbsp of sugar/day in milked down tea-would much rather have them drink this. No daily cheese/eggs. Yogurt ofcourse, lots of brown rice, just filtered peanut oil, wholewheat rotis, lentils and veggies and fruits.

And an all steel kitchen. Nothing is stored in plastic.

As traditionally Indian as my meals can be.

And even with all that, he is still hyper, unable to focus for more than 3m (getting him to learn his alphabets and numbers is so frustrating) cannot read peoples faces-he just doesnt realise that he is irritating someone, always on the go, thinks that everybody-except the police -is friendly, huggyish and loud like him.

My aunt from the US was very contemptuous of how I was raising him. She offered M&Ms to him, and he refused saying that they have bad chemicals in them. And she guffawed at us saying, this is what her kids and grandkids eat often and they have turned out completely ok. (they do splenda, cokes, freezer meals, etc) Well, TBH they have-one is a doctor and the other is a VP of a s/w startup. And their grandkids ARE we hear very sweet and not at all boisterous. To me in my DS1 5y life, this was one of the most shameful times. Like I should be giving him all that extra sugar and be done with it, since he's like that anyways. She and her husband were insinuating that my DH and I arent doing a good enough job reigning him in.

Like you, in my mind he has ADD at least. He DOES fall into that DSM IV list for that. I just dont want to medicate him...in case he turns out positive for that.

DS2 is my break. He's my textbook child. So go figure. Same diet. Diff kids.