View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: Potential Risks Associated With Ultrasound And Doppler Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
I'm not trying to be difficult at all but I just wanted to mention that there are always gray areas. To the bolded above, very early ultrasounds are absolutely necessary for me as I have a history of ectopic pregnancy. My first ectopic pregnancy seemed to be progressing normally and there were no concerns until my tube ruptured and I had massive internal bleeding before I made it into surgery. Had they not gotten me in the OR when they did I would have died. I now have two small children and I'm not willing to take the chance that it could happen again. I get early ultrasounds to check make sure that the embryo is implanted where it's supposed to be. I typically get two early on to check placement and then not again until 12 weeks and then 20 weeks. However, I think moderation and knowledge is important with this along with everything else in life. I wasn't aware of risks in my first pregnancy and I used my home doppler all the time. This time my intention is to only use it if I have concerns later in the pregnancy and am feeling lack of movement. I will get the ultrasounds when my doctor doctor and I decide that it is medically appropriate.
I am so sorry for your loss! I'm also sorry that I left out that I was talking about normal, complication free pregnancies and not all pregnancies. Certainly people who are considered high risk must have a few more. I know I did! A friend who was a Ultrasound tech advised me to, "Come in anytime and I'll scan you for free, to keep track of things!" when she found out about the brain cyst in my 3rd child. I only went once, because I didn't like to take advantage, but between that one and the regular scans, plus the ones for checking the cyst growth, I had at least 11 ultrasounds before he was born. I know a few of those were necessary, but a lot of them were medically unnecessary, especially the one done by my friend. I'm not saying ultrasounds aren't medically necessary at all, they are, just that they can be considerably over used.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote