View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Once a Month groceries?

We still buy produce weekly as part of something else though. Like I take dd to school or ds to the doc, its not a trip just to the grocery store. Milk we have a chest freezer so we freeze it except for dd's. She drinks soy which has a long expiration date.

We use a lot of frozen veggies. During the summer we grow a lot of our own, same for berries. We buy frozen veggies in bulk when needed. And I will buy frozen strawberries but that is the only fruit I like once frozen. We keep fresh carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, they all have long storage possibilities. Things like zuc, mushrooms, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, etc you can get maybe 2 weeks out of if your lucky so we buy those as needed. We also buy stuff on sale and freeze. Red peppers are a great example of this- I slice some and chop some so that can be used later for fajitias and sweet and sour. I also make freezer meals with ingredients that will go bad.

I have to get dd ready for school so I don't have any more time, but as far as sticking to the menu- we don't. You have a months worth of food in the house so you can mix it up at anytime you want. You have to stick to wants on it for the month, but you don't have to stick to specific days. As long as you have variety with in the month you won't get bored and you will be able to stick with it.