View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Once a Month groceries?

In my experience, it does save money but it also can cause more money to be spent depending.

I had been doing once a month shopping and I'd go through and have my hubby pick out (from my list of recipes to try/old recipes) meals that he would like to try. I'd have him pick out as many as he liked (kids can do the same...makes them feel important in a way). I picked out atleast 5 crockpot meals each month and put them on the list, 5-10 quick and easy meals for our busy evenings. I would go through and write down on a sheet "Meals for month of ...." and hang it on the fridge. I made sure I had 20-25 meals written down (I only need enough because we eat at family's 1-2 times every weekend). I would go through and make sure I had all the ingredients needed for those meals and write on a grocery list what ingredients I needed to buy.

We go to the store once a week for milk because we drink around 5 gallons a week. We get any fresh produce we like (Ds loves bananas for breakfast and grapes) when we get milk. I've heard that you can buy a ton of milk and freeze it for the month but I think it changes the taste. Meals with fresh veggies can me made closer to the beginning of the month and frozen veggies used for meals closer to the end of the month.

Each sunday/monday I will pick out meals for that week according to our schedule and write down on a sheet...this week looks like
Meals for week of october 14-20
Monday- Farm (eating at in laws)
Tuesday- Tuna Noodle casserole (easy meal b/c I have bible study)
Wednesday- Grilled Pork Chops, Mac and cheese, veggie (fairly easy since we have dr's appts)
Thursday- Gram and Pappys (visiting and eating with them)
Friday- Liver and onions ( hubby's meal)

And so on...then I scratch off what meals I made from the list of meals for the month.

That works well but lately with our schedules being extra busy I've been going once a week or bi-weekly. Hope that helps!!!

Last edited by Dani_Phen; 10-17-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote