View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #42
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
I have to agree with this. We are called to not make the weaker brother stumble. Obviously, this man is a weaker brother. Being a Christian is not about getting your own way, or shoving your point of view in someone's face. It's about grace and forgiveness, and sometimes, that means you might not be treated fairly. Jesus may have been breastfed, but I bet you anything it wasn't like the statues and paintings that are around these days. Women were second class dirt back then. I'm sure they had to hide away to nurse their babies. Also, as a man, Jesus was mistreated far more than any of us will ever be. And he did it for us.

In our church, we have an area just outside the sanctuary that has a bunch of comfy couches. There is a speaker there, so we can still hear the sermon. Not everyone uses this area, but it is there. And it isn't all secluded either. Anyone coming out of the sanctuary can walk right past it. But it provides a place to be comfortable while nursing. The toddlers often play there too, while the moms sit and listen.
This gets really close to the mindset that men cannot control themselves, that breastfeeding is in any way sexual and that women are responsible for men's thoughts.

If it bothers the woman and her husband, he can step out of the sanctuary and "avoid temptation".
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote