Thread: maternity leave
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: maternity leave

How much would you be saving with your kids not in daycare, and in traveling back and forth to work? If you can work out how much you guys can cut back from now until you give birth and how much you would save staying at home outlined in a spreadsheet, then he might not be so stressed out about how things are going to work. Talking about how things will or will not add up is very different than seeing it on paper. I can see cutting quite a few things in the next 6+ months that might give you more padding during your FMLA. As you may already know, the thrifty forum here has some great ladies who know how to cut budgets down.

Personally, I would get everything lined out on paper, until I could prove that I would be saving more money than losing money by taking the extended leave. You can't argue against that. This might mean: living very frugally, carpooling, lowering cc interest, refinancing house or moving to a cheaper rental, smaller birthdays and Christmases, selling a vehicle your making payments on and buying a cheaper one fully paid off, etc. Thrifty forum is great for advice.

Also the proof is in the pudding. If he is the type that has to see it to believe it, you might have to live frugally for a month or two, to prove that you can do it as a family, and see the savings. He might also fear that if you guys can make it work, you won't want to return to working outside of the home for even longer. Guys can have extreme fears sometimes and understanding what he's really afraid of will give you an edge in convincing him to go for it.

When you're working out the budget, some things will go up when you stay at home: utilities, like electric and water, and often fun things you do with the kids, like the zoo and stuff. So, keep in mind that there are other hidden expenses. Also, based on your siggy, you will have 3 at home in the summer. You would have been paying for daycare, I'm assuming, for all three if you were working. That has got to add up to some serious savings by keeping them at home with you. Will you be doing any summer camps for your eldest or any other summer activities that would cost money? Remember to add them in the budget.

rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote