View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Does measuring big always mean big baby??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
My son was two weeks early and was 7lbs 10oz. I can't remember for the life of me if I was measuring big with him or not. Had he gone two or so more weeks he would've been a big baby.

I saw my midwife today and I am 29 weeks tomorrow and was measuring 32 weeks. I feel huge and look it too.....but does that always mean it's a big baby? My SIL told me second babies are always bigger too. In my hopes to go all natural it just kind of scares me.
I have measured big with all my babies (like 4 weeks) and they have ranged from 7 lbs 1 oz~ 8 days overdue to 9 lbs 5 oz 1 day early.

Your SIL told you second babies are ALWAYS bigger? I was a second born, born closer to due date (older brother was early) and weighed several ounces less. I have a friend who's first was 12 lbs 2 oz and second was 10 lbs. 14 oz. Generally second babies are bigger but I wouldn't use the word always. Your first born if due date was correct with average weight gain would have hit around 8 1/2 lbs. that was smaller than my brother and I was smaller than him. All this to say~don't worry. First stage labor is the same no matter how big the baby is, some even claim it is quicker with the weight of a bigger baby and actually pushing a big baby out will be much easier if you have went all natural. All my babies were all natural and for me big or small babies have not made much difference in labor and pushing and I have always pushed them out quickly and have never torn even with my 9 lb 5 oz who never turned his shoulders~By the way I have a great midwife you rarely has women tear, I believe tearing has more to do with who's catching than the weight of who's being caught. I have heard if you can make it thru your first born you can make it thru anything, first is the hardest~this was true for me and he was my smallest. Good luck mama!

Last edited by joyful mother; 08-12-2007 at 11:16 AM.
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote