Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My newborn's clavicle is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
I work in pedi ortho. Yes it will go away. Your baby is SO young and as the body heals it will remodel the bone. The only thing that slightly worries me is you don't mention it bring a difficult birth or the baby having pain. Although newborns can have broken clavicles from birth parents usually report a difficult extraction, shoulder distocia, or pain after birth. There is also a condition pseudoarthrosis of the clavicle where it doesn't fuse together right and the baby has a clavicle that basically isn't connected. It can often be mistaken for a fracture. This issue will not heal without intervention. It has a very classic appearance on X-ray. I would request a repeat X-ray in 2-3 weeks to make sure it heals or else see a pedi ortho person. Hope things get better quick though!!!
Thanks for your insight. It was not a difficult delivery. I pushed 2 or 3 times total and needed no help getting him out. He definitely did not show any symptoms prior to the boney lump that I noticed this morning. He has never seemed to be in pain from it. The dr called the fracture a green stick fracture. It did look on the x-ray like it had been previously connected because one side sort of splintered if that makes sense. But, I also did read about the condition you are talking about. Thanks for the heads up! He has an appt in about 2wks. I'll mention to the dr then that I'd like to have it x-rayed again just to make sure.

Thanks everyone!