View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #38
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Farming/Homesteading October Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
Hey Can I join in? We have 17 acres and just built a home out here - it's half woods and half pasture that we just planted. When we bought the property a few years ago it was all corn fields. We have 5 turkeys (Happy Thanksgiving!), 20some hens (layers) and 1 roo, 2 livestock guardian dogs (Maremmas), 3 horses (soon to be 2, hopefully this weekend), and will be getting a beef steer soon! I work out of the home 3 days a week (as an OT) and am homeschooling my oldest Kindy (5 in nov), and also have a 3yo dd who tags along and a 5mo ds who is busy, busy, busy!! Oh, and I'm a wanna-be-gardener, lol. Its awesome to find other mamas in a similar boat!
Hi! Are turkies that much more different to raise than meat chickens? I want to try them next year (we made our meaties portable pen tall enough to house turkies). Any tips? And how do you like your dogs? Those are farm dog breed, yes? We have border collies, but someday would like to try another breed. We raise sheep and cattle, but the dogs are not trained as much as I'd like around the sheep. We also raise crops and have a milk cow, meat chickens (just butchered last week... hallelujah!), and layers.

Oh, I love OTs! My son has been seeing them since he was 3 weeks old. Now he is doing an intense therapy program and he sees one everyday! haha. I have the utmost respect for your profession and I thank you for all the hard work you do to change people's lives for the better.

How are you adjusting to the third baby? I have 4 kiddos, 5 and under and I feel like the third kiddo was my biggest adjustment... like I was busy, busy all the time! I remember wanting to garden more 2 years ago, but that third baby took all my energy. Last year he was like 1 and I was able to start gardening better (I was preggo with #4 so I just did small) and then this year was more "for real" haha. My motto is one new thing at a time! Baby included!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote