Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: criminal justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post

It doesnt matter how many programs you put in place. It wont make an ounce of difference if the offender isnt receptive, and no one can control that but the offender him/herself. It isnt a system problem, its a human problem.
And if the offender is receptive? The vast majority of men are in prison for non violent, drug related crime. Does that make them ideal fathers? No. Does it make them worthless fathers? No. It doesn't.

My BIL is in and out of jail. He's unstable, and he's an unstable presence in his children's life. They're extremely lucky, if you can call it that, that they have a loving grandfather who is willing and able to have custody of them. But my BIL loves his kids, and they love him, and I don't think his situation is unique, even if their solution is, and I don't think that having him locked up half their life is a socially valuable solution.

What I'm trying to say is that incarceration is more disruptive, and more dangerous than is commonly accepted. And I think there are -- I think there must be -- alternatives, that can only be discovered when the conversation around criminal justice is expanded to recognise its indirect effects.