foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling Check-In Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Well, plans can change in a hurry, can't they? We were walking out the door this morning for a big day of errands/grocery shopping/ect. when DH (who was leaving for work) says that his car won't work and he's taking the van. So we got all ready for nothing and are now stuck at home doing HSing. Oh well. The day went realitivly smoothly. I am wondering though....Why doesn't MFW teach blends? Like "sh" and "ch"? Because while we're learning long vowels, they have words like "snake" but we haven't done blends before so I'm teaching them both the blend and the long vowel stuff at once. It's going fairly well, but it seems like it would be easier to learn them seperately. Also for MFW uses in the early years....do you use stuff like the classical music CD and the Come Look With Me art books? Just curious.

MyVintageBliss--Welcome! Care to share your name (or a made up one would be fine)? And how old are your girls?

Kristin--I hope your DD is feeling better about things today--and I hope you are too!! 12 is a very rough age.

Snorris--It was my youngest DD we got the tag for. She turns 3 on Sunday. She is somewhat developmentally delayed though. If you are shopping for your 5 year old, I would go with the regular tag. I'm not sure what I would do with a typically developing 3 YO. I think their was a thread about them in parenting a week or two ago that might offer some insight for you.
We are doing MFWK and we just finished week 7(letter U). They start teaching blends in week 6, but with the focus on short vowels/blending consonant and vowel and CVC words. It seems to teach the reading very slowly thus far. We don't really use the classical CD because I forget about it every week. We usually do the "book day" every day, and finish the units is 5 days instead of 5. I think we will use the art book next year in 1st grade, but I can't say for sure.

We are going to see how the teaching of phonics/reading goes but I am planning on adding in All About Reading once we save the money to afford it.

AFM - We spent the morning grocery shopping. Schooling has gone slowly today. We got the election stuff done and got 1 chapter in our book read, but then the little ones woke up and now DS is off playing with them. We may either read the next chapter later, or just do it tomorrow.