View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #41
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
If my math is correct.... and I am not a math gal.... you're more likely to die in an accident than to have a baby that dies from gbs.

Odds of dying in a car wreck... roughly 1.2%
40,000 deaths each yr from car accidents on average in the US.

Odds of baby dying from gbs.... ranges roughly from 0.00032 percent to 0.00096 percent.
1000-3000 deaths per yr from gbs in the US.

Odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime... 0.0001
Just for a little more perspective.
I'm not saying this to cause trouble, but take it from someone who was in the small statistics for other things...

It's easy to talk about the low risk of something occuring until it happens to you. I would never hope anything to happen to anyone; if it does it can completely shatter your world. Being that statistic is horrible and the guilt that can come from that is rough, knowing there was prevention. I know I didn't fully understand until I was a small percentage.

There was a baby in town that died from gbs and she did not recieve antiobiotics. Is the statistic for the chance of that happening low because of the antibiotics???

I understand that it's all about your being comfortable about your risk to benefit ratio of procedures and it's your call. Just keep in mind that choices have consequences sometimes that will last a lifetime. That goes for everything.

As for the asking about infant probiotics... we used Klaire-Labs Ther-biotics for my newborns after the c-sections. 1/4 of a teaspoon per dosage. Can be mixed with breastmilk, formula, or food. Also placed on the finger and I've kind of swabbed it in the baby's mouth before they drink. It's in the mid-20 dollar range, but worth it!!! Got my baby's poos and all right on track again.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote