View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
jessd32003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
REALLY need suggestions....feel like I'm losing the homeschooling battle :(

Hi mama's. I need curriculum suggestions! We are fairly new to the homeschooling scene and i'm finding my daughter to be somewhat hard to teach. This is not surprising because her teachers have always complained about her inability to focus (we have seen many dr's about possible ADD but after different meds not working, the dr does NOT believe she has ADD). If it doesn't interest her, she just doesn't want to learn about it. It's like she doesn't care that she HAS to! I think she is more of a kinesthetic learner which makes it difficult to determine if she is tuning me out or just messing with something to help her focus. We've tried a lot of curriculum's and the only one so far that she likes is Math U see.

Curriculum we have tried: Lifepac (tried this for history and language arts), Saxon (tried this for math and she was nothing but frustrated), Switched on Schoolhouse (HATED sitting in front of the computer for hours), Mystery of History (she likes that you can download MP3's so this is read to you but she finds the content boring), Math U See, A beka (currently using this for Science but she is not a fan).

Curriculum SHE likes: Math U See

Curriculum I like: Math U See and A Beka (We use this for science and I like it but we skip over a lot of the lessons that she just can't get into, such as rocks and plants).

She really likes the Math U See because the gentleman on the DVD teaches it to you first, then you do the worksheets. She doesn't like reading things on her own, which is probably why she doesn't care for the A Beka Science (I end up reading it to her). She doesn't like things that are more advanced (she doesn't like to be challenged so if it's too hard, she shuts down). So what, if any, curriculum out there is similar to Math U See??? Is there anything similar for Language Arts, Science, and/or History? It's driving me nuts battling her every day, but, going back to public school is NOT an option here. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by jessd32003; 10-31-2012 at 11:47 AM.
jessd32003 is offline   Reply With Quote