View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
nisha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did low iron/severe anemia change your birth plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBooger View Post
I was severely anemic with my 3rd pregnancy. I was originally planning a homebirth, but due to insurance, I switched to using a midwife at a hospital. Although I was disappointed when I had to switch, I always say it was "meant to be," because I almost bled to death and there were some complications related to the anemia that I'm glad I was in the hospital for, just in case. The midwives were able to get it under control after a while, but I'm glad I was there. (And I love that they let me keep the baby just laying on my tummy, connected to the umbilical cord, the whole time and didn't take her away. It helped me stay calm. )

Do you live very close to a hospital? If not, you might want to consider a midwife and a hospital birth, just in case. It was still everything I dreamed of in a natural birth, just not at home.
My first baby was born in a hospital 80 miles away with a Midwife, second at home unassisted.
Nebraska state laws do not allow for CNM's to deliver at home, and there are no lay midwives anywhere near where I live (very rural area). I do live just down the street from our local hospital but there are no local midwives to deliver there.
If my iron levels don't come up before 38 weeks, I will be planning to have the baby at our local hospital because I have a history and also a family history of very fast labors.

I'm ok with changing plans, I am not comfortable with taking the chance of too much blood loss when I don't have any to spare to begin with! I am on a good blood builder as well as a few other things that will hopefully get my levels up, but I'm honestly not holding my breath because I was on iron and nettle tea all summer long and my levels just slowly dropped.
nisha is offline   Reply With Quote